Sunday, November 2, 2008

Argo Meets a Visitor

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. ~Albert Schweitzer

The last weekend in September, Elizabeth Graves came to the area to instruct a clinic. I met Liz five years ago and have considered her a mentor since then. She has a warmth and love of horses that just pours out of her. Liz had seen pictures of Argo back in April and offered me lots of encouragement and advice. Liz also has spent time watching and interacting with herds out in the wild.
At her clinics, I have ridden one of my young Quarter Horse mares, Romey, who is very special to me. Through her and Liz, I overcame a lot of fears that had snuck into me a few years ago. Liz helped me to be a partner with Romey and I am forever thankful for that. Three years ago I was ready to sell her; today she is one of my favorites to saddle up. Liz opened my heart and Romey opened my soul. Liz wouldn't let me give up on Romey. She knew I had it in me to overcome my anxiety; I just had to believe it too.


Romey and me in September

I was extremely excited to have Liz visit with Argo. After this year's clinic, she had a little spare time to make to the quick trip to my farm. She entered the paddock, and Argo immediately was interested. Liz has a way about her that horses are just drawn to her. She gave him his space and she became small. Argo was curious, she took a step forward and then another and he just watched her, those ears of his just locked onto Liz. I was pleased to see pretty much everything Liz did were things that I had already been doing with Argo.

The pictures below tell more of the story.









No comments: